Medad Stone Tavern – Virtual Tour
June – September
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Noon – 4:00 p.m.
Tours also available by appointment
Admission is charged
National Register of Historic Places
In 1803, anticipating the Boston Post Road would be rerouted, Medad Stone built the structure to serve as a tavern for travelers along the road. As it was not rerouted that way, the tavern never opened. Instead, the Davis family occupied the house and farmed the surrounding land for almost 200 years. In 2001, the tavern was given to the Guilford Keeping Society. The society restored the tavern to its original appearance and opened it as “the tavern that opened 200 years late.” The building has 14 rooms and 10 fireplaces. The property also includes a barn, corn crib and extensive fields.